Whoo hoo! It’s the last day of the 30-Day Mins Game! It’s been particularly helpful for me because I’m preparing to move again. Knowing that I wanted to fit all my belongings into the smallest moving truck possible helped me to look at every item I possess with a critical eye, making sure I either love it or that it adds value to my life.
This exercise has enabled me to identify things that make me accumulate or possibly even hoard things. Here’s some of what I’ve learned:
- I dislike throwing things away that could be reused.
- Sometimes collecting things that I like crosses over to excessive accumulation. Sometimes you can own too much Pyrex.
- Sometimes I save things that have zero meaning but save them because I feel like I should.
- It’s difficult to let go of things that other people have given me, whether I like them or not.
- Sometimes I’m not ready to let go of things for a variety of reasons.
Furniture is something that’s hard to let go of. It’s typically a higher ticket item and any money I get from selling it is far less than what I paid for it. It’s also a big pain to sell. My plan was to sell most of my stuff before I moved, but it never happened. I had more stuff to move than what would fit in an SUV but my twelve foot truck isn’t filled to capacity. And I’ve still got a long list of things to sell. Eventually those items will find their way to new owners as well, and I will have far fewer possessions.
To be honest, I’m not sure where I’m at with the Mins Game even though it’s the last day. Stress and fatigue led to me getting a cold and I haven’t had the energy the last two days to take many pictures or tally things up. Once things settle a little, I will update the post to let you know how I did. If you’ve been playing the game, what’s your finally tally? How do you feel after letting go of so many items? Is there anything you wish you hadn’t purged? Please leave a comment here or on Facebook.